PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ACT (POPIA)
The purpose of the POPI Act is the following:
- To ensure that personal information is only used for the purpose it was originally intended.
- That the information is protected and safeguarded
- To regulate how the information is processed and provide minimum requirements in line with international standards.
- To provide persons with the rights and remedial actions when personal information is not managed in accordance with the Act.
- To establish an information regulator who will provide the necessary guidelines and enforcement to ensure responsible handling of personal information.
THE POPIA CONDITIONS FOR PROCESSING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
The POPI Act has listed conditions 8 conditions that need to be adhered to by any person or organisation that collects and/or processes personal information, these are;
- Processing limitation
- Purpose specification
- Further processing limitation
- Information quality
- Security safeguards
- Data subject participation